Sunday, October 5, 2008

DAY 4 (31 Days of Horror)



DAY FOUR

FILM - A Nightmare on Elm St. 3 : Dream Warriors

PREMISE - Picking up where the original Nightmare left off, Nancy has grown up and become a psychiatrist specializing in dream therapy. She meets a group of children at a local hospital facing Freddy Krueger, the same demon she once encountered in her sleep. One of them is Kristen, who has the power to draw other people into her dreams. Working with a male doctor assigned to the case, Nancy helps the kids realize their special abilities within the nightmare world. When Freddy captures one of her charges, she leads a rescue attempt into Krueger's domain, in hopes of putting his spirit to rest once and for all.

ANTAGONIST - Freddy Krueger the bastard son of 100 maniacs. My favorite modern day monster.

BLOOD AND GORE - A good amount of blood and gore but nothing too excessive. The puppet scene still gets me.

SCARES - At this point the Elm St. series had become a money making franchise and the scares gave way to f/x and one liners. The series kinda jumped the shark at this point.

REVIEW - Part one is the best but part 3 is my favorite. I saw this the Friday it opened in a sold out show at the Stoneridge Theater. What an experience. My dad dressed up like Freddy before there was such a thing as Freddy halloween costumes. He was freaking out the audience. Just a great time. The film is a blast and the dynamic of the people teaming up to fight Freddy with their various powers was cool to me. The return of the Nancy character was pretty sweet too. I would give this an 8 out of 10.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forgot about dressing up for that movie. It was fun and I agree about #1 being the best but #3 is my favorite, although I'd give it a 9 instead.

Jared said...

All right, people. Now I have a problem. If you're giving the same score to this film as you are to a Hitchcock classic...

Never mind. I'm done with this.

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't forget one very important aspect of this movie: Dokken. Dream Warriors, baby. Your rating is now justified.